Beware of calls appearing to come from Alerus
Scammers are impersonating the Alerus call center and fraud departments to trick victims into thinking that Alerus is actually calling them regarding fraud on their debit card. The scammers then ask victims to call them back so they can ask victims for personal information and gain access to your accounts.
What is happening:
- Scammers claiming to be from Alerus may call and say there is a fraud alert regarding suspicious account activity that they need to confirm with you.
- In an attempt to gain financial information, scammers will often use “robo calls” or automated calling systems. The caller ID is spoofing the Alerus Client Service Center phone number. Often, a computerized voice will advise the person on the line that their debit card has been stolen and advise them to follow the prompts for more information and ask you to call another number. Be assured, Alerus does not use automated “robo” calls for any reason. If we need to discuss an issue with our clients, we reach out with a live person. We would not ask for their numbers or PIN because we already have that information. Do not ever give personal information over the phone.
What to do:
- If you receive a call requesting any of the information above, immediately hang up and call us at 800.279.3200. DO NOT use redial or the call the number mentioned in the voicemail.
- If you discover a fraudulent transaction on your Alerus account, immediately contact us at 800.279.3200.
Tips and resources for your security:
Below are steps you can take to protect yourself and your business from identity theft and fraud
- Text and phone alerts: If you are set up to receive a text alert from us, it will always be from a 5-digit number and NOT a 10-digit number resembling a phone number. A valid notification will never include a link to be clicked. Never click on a link in a text message that is allegedly from us.
- Regularly check your account: Regularly check your account online to see if there are any suspicious transactions that have occurred, especially if you are unsure about a call or text message you’ve received. If anything looks suspicious, call us directly for assistance.
- Keep your contact information up-to-date: Keeping your contact details up to date is important so that we can get in touch with you with information about your account.
- Manage your debit card: CardValet is ideal for cardholders who want to protect and manage their debit cards through their mobile devices. If you suspect fraudulent activity on your Alerus debit card, simply turn your card “off” to prevent transactions from occurring and contact us immediately at 800.279.3200 Download the app and start protecting yourself and your card today.