- 4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream or ice cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square (2-quart glass baking dish or baking pan) with shortening.
- Spread apples in pan. In a medium bowl, stir the remaining ingredients (except cream or ice cream) until well mixed; sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream.